Friday, July 22, 2005

Evolution of a Caricature...or...Constipated Smile

Alot of times when I'm drawing a caricature it goes through several passes. It usually starts off either very realistic or looking nothing like the person I'm trying to draw. So I redraw it over and over, each time trying to exaggerate certain proportions and or attempting to get a certain expression. Today I had the opportunity to go through this process with fellow cartoonist Katie Rice (check out her blog 'funny cute' in the links section) She did a drawing (in this case it was of me) then I went over her drawing and we passed it back and forth like this several times. It's a great way to draw because the other artist will usually spot things you don't see and vice versa. In this case it was Katie who has a super keen eye and a great sense of observation. So here are the results, starting with Katies drawing...





















Then my drawing...























Then Katie's





















Mine....






















..and one more by me...

6 comments:

Sean said...

Man, that second to last one takes the cake for me! It makes me sad that you guys moved to Sonora. I want to play this game too!

Tony Mora said...

Jesus! Its like your trying to pinch the largest loaf in your life!

werewolfamerican2002 said...

I think this character is giving birth to something much larger than he is capable of humanly delivering! Looks like the poor guy is splitting in two from the bottom up... Very funny!

Super Macho said...

Can you sell me the last drawing of the gorgeous primate wearing a "small hats dog" t-shirt?
I MUST own this!
jorge

Anonymous said...

not bad but a freak like Steadman (or that dude on The Wall) does it much more effortlessly.....

Anonymous said...

You mean Scarfe? Is Gerald Scarfe the dude?